Who Can Bring A Wrongful Death Claim In Colorado?
Wrongful death actions in Colorado are governed by CRS 13-21-201.
During the first year after the death:
- Only a surviving spouse may bring the claim.
During the second year after the death:
- A surviving spouse may bring the claim;
- Any children may bring the claim;
- If the deceased has no spouse or children, then the parents of the deceased may bring the claim.
Who cannot bring a claim:
- Siblings of the deceased;
- Friends of the deceased;
- Boyfriends / girlfriends of the deceased.