Daniel T. Goodwin Law
Unavoidable Ice – Tips to Keep You Safe
With colder weather, holidays, and ski season soon approaching, we will also be encountering dangerous icy conditions. Falling on ice is one of Colorado’s most common winter injuries and reasons for bringing a lawsuit. It takes less than two seconds from the moment that you slip to when your body hits the ground, leaving you vulnerable to serious injuries and broken bones.
Businesses in Colorado which are open to the general public have a duty to protect their patrons from dangerous ice build-up. When you’re out and about this winter, remember these following tips:
- Stay on designated sidewalks and walkways.
- Wear appropriate winter shoes with good traction.
- Only walk in well-lit areas.
- If you notice dangerous ice, tell an employee.
- Walk slowly and keep your center of gravity over your front leg.
- Keep your arms free to help you balance. If you are carrying heavy bags, ask an employee to help carry them to your car.